Re: NSCalendar and NSLocale support

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: NSCalendar and NSLocale support
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 01:26:29 +0200

Am 14.06.2009 um 23:10 schrieb Riccardo Mottola:

Hi,

Dave MacLachlan wrote:
Hey there...

I'm looking to add NSCalendar and NSLocale to Foundation. I'm happy to implement them, but I was hoping to do it on top of ICU (http://site.icu-project.org/).

Are we willing to add a dependency on ICU to gnustep?

This is a typical dilemma. Usually I am a friend of having the smallest set of dependencies possible. I checked and ICU is for example readily available in gentoo (if not, I would have really worried) but it is not for example available on sunfreeware, this tells me that it is not that widespread.

Really? SUN should use it:

from http://site.icu-project.org/:

Companies and Organizations using ICU
ABAS Software, Adobe, Apple, Amdocs, Apache Xalan XSLT, Apache Xerces XML, Argonne National Laboratory, Avaya, BAE Systems Geospatial eXploitation Products, BEA, BroadJump, BluePhoenix Solutions, BMC Software, Boost, Business Objects, caris, CERN, Debian Linux, Dell, Eclipse, eBay, EMC Corporation, ESRI, Free BSD, Gentoo Linux, Google, GroundWork Open Source, GTK+, HP, Hyperion, IBM, Inktomi, Innodata Isogen, Informatica, Intel, Interlogics, IONA, IXOS, Jikes, Mathworks, Mozilla, Netezza, OpenOffice, Lawson Software, Leica Geosystems GIS & Mapping LLC, Mandrake Linux, OCLC, Progress Software, Python, QNX, Rogue Wave, SAP, SIL, SPSS, Software AG, Sun Microsystems (Solaris, Java), SuSE, Sybase, Symantec, Teradata (NCR), Trend Micro, Virage, webMethods, Wine, WMS Gaming, XyEnterprise, Yahoo!, and many others.

Products from IBM
Ascential Software, Cognos, PSD Print Architecture, DB2, COBOL, Host Access Client, InfoPrint Manager, Informix GLS, iSeries, Language Analysis Systems, Lotus Notes, Lotus Extended Search, Lotus Workplace, WebSphere Message Broker, NUMA-Q, OTI, OmniFind, Pervasive Computing WECMS, Rational Business Developer and Rational Application Developer, SS&S Websphere Banking Solutions, Tivoli Presentation Services, Tivoli Identity Manager, WBI Adapter/ Connect/Modeler and Monitor/ Solution Technology Development/WBI-Financial TePI, Websphere Application Server/ Studio Workload Simulator/Transcoding Publisher, XML Parser.

Products from Google

Web Search, Chrome, Android, Adwords, Google Finance, Google Maps, Blogger, Google Analytics, Google Gears, Google Groups, and others.
Products from Apple

Mac OS X, iPhone OS, Safari for Windows, Apple Mobile Device Support in iTunes for Windows.