Re: NSSound Reimplementation

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: NSSound Reimplementation
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:29:17 +0200

Hey,

But ... going back to the issue of avoiding changes to ivars breaking ABI in future releases ... the approach I currently favor is having a *single* ivar in the public class. This is a private id variable referring to an instance of a private class which is used to hold the real ivars.

I really don't like this approach. It makes the code difficult to read, destroys locality of reference, and hurts performance.

I don't like it either! I think it was discussed quite a bit and we did not agree that it was the way to go! The discussion didn't come to a conclusion (I remember we also discussed it at FOSDEM), but many agreed that this opaque single-ivar solution was bad.

I personally would prefer just breaking the ABI if other solutions are a too big effort. Second place of course is David's. I cannot remember now why i didn't try it though... did your patch have some prerequisites?

Riccardo