Re: GWorkspace, PDFkit & freetype

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GWorkspace, PDFkit & freetype
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:23:29 +0200

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
If you're importing PDFKit, would it be possible to rename it? Apple has a PDFKit which has a very different set of classes to this one which, if I remember correctly, is a thin wrapper around GhostScript and doesn't provide any of the PDF metadata support that Apple's framework offers. Having a GNUstep framework with the same name but a different set of classes to an Apple one is likely to cause confusion.

I never did a comparison about the two kits and I don't know which one came earlier... PDFKit is as far as I know based on xpdf and does not use ghostscript as a dependency, you are probably thinking about the GSPdf application instead.

What name would you propose? I also don't know if changing the name may be a problem with the packages of the various linux and BSD distributions.

Riccardo