Re: NSSound Code Review

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: NSSound Code Review
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 04:43:09 +0200

Hello Stefan,

Am Montag, den 27.07.2009, 20:44 -0500 schrieb Stef Bidi:

> I really just want to get this out there so that I can get more eyes
> on it... this is my first time working this in-depth with GNUstep, so
> I'm sure mistakes were made (I'm just hoping they aren't massive).

Maybe I'm just reading the code incorrectly, but will playing a sound
make the application multi-threaded wrt the OpenSTEP/Cocoa API (and
thereby create all the lazy locks registered for the
NSWillBecomeMultiThreadedNotification)?

Triggering locks will give is quite a performance hit on applications
which would otherwise be single threaded.

I think this really needs to be avoided.  Note I'm not say that the
process can't become multi-threaded at all.  It's just if it really must
it should do so at a lower level.  I'm not sure if the ObjC-runtime
wrappers can be used with triggering the notification.  But GCC's
gthread is probably a safe abstraction, that is if clang & co also
support that API.

Cheers,

David Ayers          Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe
http://www.fsfe.org                     http://fellowship.fsfe.org