Re: NSSound Code Review

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: NSSound Code Review
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:39:45 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 29.07.2009, 17:15 +0100 schrieb David Chisnall:
> On 29 Jul 2009, at 16:56, Wolfgang Lux wrote:
>
> If you spawn a POSIX (or Mach) thread in OS X and make Cocoa calls
> from this, without ever sending a notification informing the framework
> of this, then things work correctly.  I do not believe that this is
> yet the case in GNUstep, but it ought to be.

Actually, that's exactly what I meant.

"Do not use NSThreads but an underlaying abstraction that's compatible
with the actually thread implementation to avoid sending the
notification."

I haven't checked but I believe we may already be doing this (or maybe
it was some support library, I'm not sure anymore).

With respect to the pthread patch for GNUstep, I'm still not convinced
that GNUstep only runs on platforms which are configured to use pthreads
by default by the objc runtime.  Yet I never got around to checking the
history.

GNUstep should use whatever threading library gcc was configured for.
This is what gthreads does.  Simply assuming pthreads will work for 95%
of the cases yet the other 5% will case an inordinate amount debugging
headaches when two threading libraries exist in parallel.

If this abstraction needs to be optimized then the patches should go to
libobjc/gcc.

Cheers,

David Ayers          Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe
http://www.fsfe.org                     http://fellowship.fsfe.org