Re: Emacs 23 and GNUstep

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 and GNUstep
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 00:53:06 +0100

Hi,

What I said above wasn't  completely true.

2009/8/8 Frederico Muñoz <address@hidden>:
> Given the obvious errors I'm getting (...)

The error that was getting was:

$ ./configure --with-ns
$ make
(...)
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Segmentation fault
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fsmunoz/src/GNUstep/apps/emacs-23.1/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2
$

I'm now trying to use same make flags (thanks to David and Deek in
#gnustep for their pointers) to drill down on this a bit more and
better identify the source of the error.

I then used something I read in several lists, which was:

$ ./configure --with-x=no
$ make bootstrap
$ ./configure --with-ns
$ make
$ make install

This actually builds, and creates an Emacs.app in nextstep. So
assuming that this last method is supposed to produce a working binary
a change in the INSTALL instructions could be helpful in the Emacs
documentation.

Anyway, it ends up not working. I'm attaching the backtrace just for
completeness. It's inside GNUstep code, I'm using the cairo backend,
I'll build the other backends again to see if this happens.

Best regards,

Frederico