Re: Fwd: [Gnustep-cvs] r28443 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GST

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Gnustep-cvs] r28443 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSTextStorage.m Source/NSTextView.m
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:19:07 +0200

Fred Kiefer schrieb:
>> I did think it was odd that GSTextStorage encoded itself.    The
>> question now is, since it does, and, probably has, for a while, I'll
>> need to run some tests to see if this is encoded in .gorm files or
>> not.  If we simply yank the code it could break compatibility with
>> .gorm files created before the change.   I will get back to you with
>> results of that test.
>
> This shouldn't cause any problems as long as we leave the decoding code
> in GSTextStorage in place. From then on all text storage objects will be
> encoded as NSTextStorage and if there is still one encoded as
> GSTextStorage it would still be handled correctly. We could put in a
> warning message though, to inform people that the .gorm file will need
> to be converted.

Oops, perhaps I was a bit too fast here. I had another look at
GSTextStorage and this class already implements classForPortCoder and
replacementObjectForPortCoder. I think this is wrong and we should
remove these as well as the encoding method here, but we definitely
should wait for a statement from Richard on this subject as he
originally wrote this code and might know best whether it is still needed.