Re: Emacs 23 and GNUstep

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 and GNUstep
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:59:50 +0100

Hello,

Many thanks for your answer!

2009/8/13 Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>:
> TTBOMK Emacs.app doesn't work with the cairo backend at all, although
> your previous backtrace shows that you get further than me :-)

Ahh, that explains a lot ;)

(...)
> Yes, that's expected.  About 2 months ago the Emacs NS font driver was
> changed to use NSFontDescriptor intensively in order to support things
> like :script and :lang.  However, some methods are not fully implemented
> in GNUstep (yet).

Oh, I see.

> I maintain a patch for my unofficial gNewSense emacs-snapshot package
> that reverts all these changes (GUI version is 0.12.0 there which is
> fairly old and doesn't have NSFontDescriptor at all):
(...)
> If you're interested, I can send it to you off-list.

I appreciated your offer but given that the issue with the build is
well-known I prefer not to muck with my installation, especially since
in practical terms I can use "regular" Emacs. I'll wait for the
changes, keep a eye on the cvs logs and keep trying ;)

Again, thank you for you feedback on this.

Regards,

Frederico