Re: NSSound Commit

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSSound Commit
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:45:24 +0200

Stef Bidi schrieb:
> I just committed the new NSSound implementation.  Keep in mind it's very
> rough at this point.  A few things, off the top of my head:
>
> * Need to check for libsndfile and libao, and only build SndfileSource and
> AudioOutputSink if they exist;
> * There's a hack in Sounds/GNUmakefile or else I could not get this thing to
> build;
> * Incorporate David C.'s suggestions.
>
> This thing needs lots of testing.  I'll post my test app tomorrow (I'm
> pretty tired now) so you all can try it, too.

I tried to compile GNUstep gui after your commit and it fails. Of course
I don't have libsndfile-devel and libao-devel installed, but this will
be the case for others as well. There should at least be a configure
flag to disable the compilation of this code. Somebody has to do this
today otherwise we get loads of bug reports about GNUstep no longer
compiling. Also after any change to configure.ac you need to regenerate
configure and commit that as well.

Sorry, I am thinking about reveting your commit now. The basic promise
of trunk is that it compiles and more or less works all the time.
Wouldn't it be better to have the sound code on the branch until it is
mature enough at least not to break compilation?