Re: NSSound Commit

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSSound Commit
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:35:31 +0100

On 23 Aug 2009, at 10:17, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Thank you, but the compiler still fails when trying to compile the
bundle in Sounds. Most like we need to check the value of BUILD_SOUNDS
in the GNUmakefile there.

Can anybody explain to me, why the sound bundle no longer is in Tools,
but in Sounds now? I don't seem to understand the benefit of this.

Most likely it's a littllebug... I think the Sounds directory is for sound files, not for code.

Which is not to say that 'Tools' is the right place ... generally a bundle ought to go in one of two places:

1. in the Bundles directory (eg /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles or /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Bundles) ... typically if you expect the bundle to work across multiple versions of the library and to be replaced/overridden by other versions installed by the user.

2. in the library resources (eg /usr/GNUstep/Library/Libraries/gnustep- gui/Versions/xxx/Resources) where the bundle is specific to the version of the library.

Probably what used to be in Tools was the sound server daemon ... which was a command line tool, so placing in Tools would have made sense, Also, possibly bundle code would have been placed in Tools because the bundle executable will be a dll on mswindows, and for mswindows to load a dll it needs to be in your path, and Tools gets put in your path. I would guess this initial version of the code doesn't work on windows anyway, but I expect the location it's installed in may need to change on windows.