Current status of NSTextStorage/NSLayoutManager/NSTextContainer?

From: Derek Fawcus
Subject: Current status of NSTextStorage/NSLayoutManager/NSTextContainer?
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:34:09 +0100

What is the view of the current status of the above?  I cobbled together
a simple app using just those,  together with a NSWindow holding an NSView
(note not NSTextView) as mentioned here:

http://zathras.de/angelweb/blog-cocoa-text-system-everywhere.htm

which simply displays the text "This is the text string.", and found it did
not display correctly,  whereas the same files compiled on a Mac (10.4.11) did.

The corruption being that the text line 'wrapped' too early,  and overwrote
the start of text,  such that "This is the text" had "string." written on
top of the same line (i.e. "This is" was overritten).

Now this was on a Mandriva 2009.1 distribution,  so its not the latest and
greatest version of the libraries:

   base 1.18.0
   gui  0.16.0
   back 0.16.0
   make 2.0.8

Before I try compiling the current versions of the libraries,  I'd appreciate
it if anyone can recall if any fixes have been done in this area since the
above versions.

The obvious guess would be that the NSTextContainer is not managing to
initialise to the correct width of the NSView.

(I can make the source available if anyone is interested)

Thanks,

DF