Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 17:58:19 +0100

On 8 Oct 2009, at 17:29, Matt Rice wrote:

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<address@hidden> wrote:

OK ... we just have different perceptions here then. In those circumstances
I expect a package to be *available* to all users, but NOT to be
automatically forced on them.
Certainly *I* don't want to have something like that imposed on *ME* just
because someone else installs a package globally.

there is no enforcing here,

people could easily set

defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSAppKitUserBundles '()'

to get no theme bundles, I do this e.g. for using themes in every
application except Gorm
It just pushes the burden of setting defaults onto those that don't
want to follow the global installation
instead of those that do, I am completely fine with installing
defaults system wide
(as long as the system domain doesn't override the global domain)

Perhaps 'forced' was too strong a word, but the basic issue for me is that I don't want other people changing the way my applications behave.

Having them make a behavior change which I couldn't set back would be intolerable. Having them make a change which I then need to figure out how to revert, is annoying/undesirable. The second case is what we are talking about here.

If behavior of the system just suddenly changes because a package someone installed has changed a global default, It's going to take me time and effort to figure out what happened and how to reverse it

So, IMO global defaults should be used very sparingly, and should be used by the managers of distributions, not by people making individual app/library/bundle packages (except where the defaults only effect those specific packages of course). The very last thing you want is for every theme developer to set a global default to make their theme the one everyone uses... that decision should belong to the person who supplies the distribution, not the individual theme packages.