Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 13:29:56 +0100

On 9 Oct 2009, at 13:03, Felix Holmgren wrote:

While I sympathize with David who prefers (or is used) to some other coding
style,
the GNUstep project needs a consistent coding style and the GNU coding
standard
are as good a choice as any. Since GNUstep is a GNU project, it's a natural
choice.

Given that part of the aim of GNUstep is to track Cocoa, might it not
make sense to use the Apple coding guidelines for everything that's
written in Objective-C?

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CodingGuidelines/CodingGuidelines.html

Those guidelines ARE pretty much consistently used in GNUstep. The coding style issues we are probably talking about here are those to do with the use of:

indentation
brackets
white-space

Generally, whenever someone comes along and complains about the style used, they have their own 'good reasons' why their style is preferred/ justified. Certainly, when I started working on the GNUstep project, my style was very different from the GNU style, and I could have provided reasons why my style was better :-)

None of those arguments carry any weight whatsoever ... because there are always plenty of people with other preferred styles and their own reasons for using them.

We use the GNU style almost solely because of the value of consistency (the fact that we are a GNU project probably explains why it was originally chosen) ... once you are used to it, you can work on any part of the code without finding the style hard to read.

While there are a few 'religious' people who are convinced that everyone else should adopt their style, almost everyone accepts that a consistent standard is useful and that any attempt to change the style, once adopted, would be severely counterproductive.