Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Tim Kack
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:33:03 +0200

On 2009-10-08 02:08:35 +0200 Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I have not had much time to look at GNUMail, but I just set the delegat to nil in the controllers to avoid the crashes when the toolbar is trying to dealloc. I have attached the diff to this mail - but I guess someone (Ludovic) should really review it since I am really not a top coder (just want to fix things when they are broken).

Hope it helps,
Tim

<delegatenil.patch>

Hi,

Philippe Roussel wrote:
For me, the one thing that really lowers GNUstep credibility is the
super high 'bitrot factor' : a lot of the software found in the wiki
is outdated, or it's website disappeared, or it won't compile or it's
almost useless. Building the core librairies is good (thanks guys !)
but we need a good set of working applications, easily found and
easily built.

Trgives the user a terrible impression.
One example I ran recently is AddressManager and the VCFViewer
inspector. There is one version in GAP, one version in Etoile. One
version of VCFViewer in AddressManager tree and one in GWorkspace
website and wiki page.

I the official Addresses, Bjoern "donated" it to us.
GAP has become a kitchen-sink for apps not loved by their owners anymore... I try my best to keep them going and added in the last years several applications! When a core developer like Enrico leaves, it leaves a lot of stuff... I don't think everybody realized how much Enrico did for GNUstep. With the releases, the wiki pages will be corrected, etc etc. We're gettign there, just slowly. You yourself are helping me out lately!

There are multiple terminal applications (gap, backbone, etoile ?) but
none really usable (to my knowledge, maybe I missed something).

ThI use it every single day! It may miss some features but works. ANd I assume backbone's does too, the code bae is essentially the same, but the philosophies about releases, makefiles etc. differ.
There is Preferences and SystemPreferences.

Itwindows too... SystemPreferences is from Enrico, it is Apple compatible.

Preference's is more limited in the UI, has different modules but looks better :)
GNUMail doesn't work for me and seems stalled.

Thmade a partial patch... but it is left there. He can tell us the details. But furthermore Ludovic should accept the patch, commit and make a new beta tarball.
What I'm trying to say is that I think we should try to centralize
things (one repository for all !) and work on a set of defined
applications instead of collecting random stuff.

Ththe gnustep main site.
One last thing about stable/unstable : the website frontpage advertize gnustep startup 0.23.0 as a stable release with make 2.2.0, base 1.19.1,
gui 0.17.0 and back 0.17.0.
In the download page, stable startup version is 0.22.0 and unstable
0.19.3. Stable base is 1.18.0 which for me means that base 1.19.1
included in startup 0.23.0 is not stable. Same thing for gui and back.
Question is : what should I download ?!

Our downloads are terribly confusing!
I hope this doesn't sound too negative, really. I really like GNUstep
and wish to use a GNUstep desktop one day :o).

It is honest, which is what counts.

Riccardo