Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:50:11 +0300

Fred Kiefer wrote:
Sergii Stoian schrieb:
2009/10/9 Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>
Many things you want do not clash with other goals, they only divert
manpower. But keep in consideration that in an opensource project people do
whatever they deem interesting or useful, there isn't a central planning.
Sure, you're right! I'm start thinking that fork of gui+back for some period
of time is not such silly thing...

A fork of an open source project is almost always a bad thing.
Especially in the case where you haven't tries to get your ideas into
the main project first.

I mean for for "some period of time". I gives me some freedom to brake things without bothering people. One of the reason that drove me to idea of forking gui+back is when I'm developing Project Center I need to fix some things after GNUstep svn update. I need some stable basement for PC development. I tired fix things that was not broken before.

I think that I will be glad to integrate most of the things that you
come up with into gui and back. So why talk about a fork first?
Sometimes it is worthwhile to test a few ideas on a branch before
integrating them into the trunk of a project, but that is a completely
different approach.

Actually some of the ideas are:
- remove old/unused code from 'back' (xdps, xlib);
- move general code 'back' to 'gui' (gsc if I remember correctly);
- finish font, image, drawing, events in GUI and ART backend (blurred lines, text positioning, focus issues with WindowMaker, start of first app in session, handling of X server events, text selection etc.).

These are the basic things that MUST work correctly. Until then developing applications for GNUstep is a pain in back (fix things that was not broken before). I intentionally focus on UNIX, X11 and ART backend. I want at least one combination of components to work best of all (reference platform). I understand that other people has different tastes but spreading efforts never lead us to success.

You made great contributions to GNUstep, it would be hard to loose you
to a fork.

Thank you for good words. But please try to understand me: it's sad to see how people talks about changing appearance of GNUstep while must work functionality is far from 'Right Thing' even with current look.

--
Sergii Stoian