Re: Window manager interaction

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Window manager interaction
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:45:05 +0100

On 17 Oct 2009, at 00:01, Wolfgang Lux wrote:

With respect to problem (2), I think that this could be handled by terminating applications by default when their last window is closed and the application delegate does not respond to - applicationShouldTerminateAfterLastWindowClosed:.

I was going to suggest this as the default behaviour for NSWindows95InterfaceStyle (actually, I was going to implement it and see if it worked nicely, but I haven't had time). Most of the time, this is how people expect document-driven applications to work in Windows and Windows clones like GNOME and KDE. The current behaviour of moving the menu to the top of the screen is really jarring in these applications. I would suggest the following rules for the Windows interface style:

- When an application is first launched, a new document is automatically created, if no window created by the main nib file is willing to accept main window status.

- When closing a window, if no other window is willing to accept main window status then the application exits.

I think this would go a long way towards making GNUstep apps fit in with other environments.

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA