Re: Window manager interaction

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Window manager interaction
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:44:01 +0100

On 17 Oct 2009, at 18:13, Wolfgang Lux wrote:

I agree that with MS Windows style menus an application should terminate when its last window is closed and have just committed code that implements that logic.

That sounds right to me.

With regard to creating a new document upon program startup, I think that a document based application should always do so (regardless of the interface style) and have committed code for that too.

I'm less sure about that ... one thing I really hate is applications which open up blank document windows when I don't want them (which is almost always the case). You are probably right about it though ... it does seem a very common behavior on OSX (though some apps open the most recently used document, and few don't open anything). Is it actually automatic though ... if so, it might be nice to have a default to disable it.