Re: Window manager interaction

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Window manager interaction
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:04:29 +0200

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Hi,

If the application delegate responds to - applicationShouldOpenUntitledFile the result is of course always respected (and guess you've implemented it in PRICE). What I've done is just to change the default behavior for a document based application if that delegate method is not implemented. GNUstep was handling this case as NO, whereas Mac OS X considers this as YES for a document based application. All I did was to implement the OS X behavior, which I find more reasonable and which seems better suited for a Windows like environment anyway.

yes, you are correct. The application's behaviour should be respected. If not, the interface style should be. I suggest that your "YES" default instead of "NO" could be extended to mac-style menus and not win95 only?

I feel unsure about mac-style menus. Classic Mac OS was similar to OS X and NeXTstep in that applications normally did not quit when their last window is closed. You could also hide and unhide applications as on OS X. For that reason I would think the right default for mac- style menus would me NO.

On the other hand, Classic Mac OS also had an application switcher, a menu at the right end of the menubar that allowed you to switch to any running application (whether hidden or not). Yet, I expect that it is unlikely that anybody would (want to) implement such an application switcher for Mac style menus, so returning YES makes sense to me too.

Wolfgang