Re: [Fwd: Re: GNUstep and Linux Fund]

From: Robert J. Slover
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: GNUstep and Linux Fund]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:15:53 -0500

On Nov 12, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 12 Nov 2009, at 16:55, David Chisnall wrote:

On 12 Nov 2009, at 16:49, address@hidden wrote:

This allows to display any menu (set via setMenu:) as the popup menu of the view. It is up to the application programmer to use or ignore this
feature.

Thanks for the explanation. I supposed so.
So the issue is rather the default behavior;
I would suggest rather do nothing on right mouse click,
since that is how things work in all OSes I know of.
(And the app menu is visible all the time anyway...)

This might make sense if you are in using the Windows or Mac interface styles, but I don't really like it.

I think only in windows style ... since the GNUstep behavior is already the same as on a Mac.

Having the main menu a single click away without having to move the mouse is a good design from the point of view of usability. A menu that appears where the mouse is beats both a menu attached to the window and a menu attached to the screen in Fitts' Law terms.

Yes, the current behavior is a good thing. I actually wouldn't want it to change even when using the windows interface style, since I can see no benefit to *not* providing any action in response to a right mouse click.

I would also point out that it is frustrating when the context menu on an OS X application doesn't also contain all of the actions that make sense in that context, such as not providing a 'Services' menu item. There's nothing more frustrating than right-clicking and not finding the action you intended to use, then having to navigate to the menu bar to find it, especially on a large screen (or in my case, multi- screen) setup. A corollary is that it is frustrating to find an action *only* in the context menu, which I have seen as well. If all actions are available somewhere on the main menu or from an Inspector panel reachable from there, providing the main menu as a default makes perfect sense, and a custom context menu just becomes an optimization of that.

The difference on OS X is that most views tend to have some kind of context menu, while most in GNUstep apps don't.

Yes ... it's up to the app programmer.