Re: [Fwd: Re: GNUstep and Linux Fund]

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: GNUstep and Linux Fund]
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:46:20 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. I supposed so.
So the issue is rather the default behavior;
I would suggest rather do nothing on right mouse click,
since that is how things work in all OSes I know of.
(And the app menu is visible all the time anyway...)

What do you think about that?
Just because others do it "wrong"...

There is also a difference in the way the interface is done.

In the OpenStep style the menu is always visible, but it can be very convenient to have it right under your mouse! Especially with large monitors or for example when working with a trackpad or other pointing devices. ALso an application can choose to supply the default menu, but use the context menu only in certain areas, where it is mostly needed.

This also leads to another consideration: contextual menus are exceedingly abused. In many modern applications I notice more and more that some actions are available only as a contextual menu or as a toolbar, while every action should be available and always visible (at most, greyed out) in the main menus. This is a matter of coherent application design. Contextual menus should only be a convenient shortcut. I can imagine for example an application like a vector drawing application what allows for quick inspection of the tools, or a spreadsheet the cell. However, this is application design. Usually an OpenStep application will not need it, providing an inspector palette for example.

So, I'd leave things as they are. If someone needs the behaviour he can implement it. I can imagine that for example when porting an application without really wanting to adapt the interface, one can need this feature massively.

Maybe we can yet another default parameter like ("hide app menu con right click"), but is it really worth the complication?

I love to dare to be different!

Also, not everything is/was windows. For example I imagine that Amiga-users will remember clicking on the workspace for a menu...

Riccardo