Re: Best method for converting NSDates into different time zones?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Best method for converting NSDates into different time zones?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:49:56 +0000

On 19 Nov 2009, at 06:06, David Wetzel wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a database with dates in CET and would like to preset them in the
> local time of the users.
> It is a web app.
>
> This is the only way I was able to convert between time zones, but that
> should be possible with DateFormatters too, right?

Yes and no ... the NSDateFormatter code in GNUstep-base implements the original
OSX class, and this had no method to set the time zone.
Apple added a load of new methods in OSX 10.4 which would (among other things)
allow you to set a time zone, but nobody has contributed those updates : -(

I'd be grateful if you wanted to contribute the new methods from OSX 10.4, but
I would expect those to be implemented by using the existing methods of
NSCalendarDate ... so the mechanism you have found now would be the 'best'
anyway.