Re: pbxbuild patch

From: Joe Mattiello
Subject: Re: pbxbuild patch
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:31:34 -0500

On Nov 18, 2009, at 6:28 PM, Hans Baier wrote:

2009/11/18 Joe Mattiello <address@hidden>:
I have a patch I wrote over the summer for pbxbuild that adds many
enhancements, though it may break legacy (pre-leopard XCode) versions of
projects.
The short story is I wrote all these changes for internal projects that
needed to be ported to Linux, went through the FSF paperwork to submit and
then completely changed
roles at my company and forgot all about these patches. None the less, I
want to share with the community, though I warn the code I wrote doesn't
conform to the originally formatting used.
Perhaps someone would like to take on the task of cleaning it up to be
submittal to the tree.
Off the top of my head some improvements are,
- Mutli-target projects with both static and dynamic library targets now
work
- Linking against JavaVM.framework in XCode translates to linking to libjvm
- Support for Project and target level CFlags
- Support for Project and target level -O flags
- Support for absolute path include and lib search dirs
- Support for linking against frameworks that are also targets in
multi-target project (but don't forget to `make install' them)
- Most options that were only project or target based are now Project then
optionally Target overwritten set like in XCode
- Support for different bundle extensions
- Support for SDKRoot
- A few more things I forget now
I believe work for dynamic libraries and snowleo was done independently not
too long ago, so my apologies for not submitting this sooner, but with out
further delay, I present my patches for your approval.

Sorry about the last mail, had some problems with GMail/firebug.
I hope this works better now.

Now this is really good news. When I wrote the initial version of the tool
back in 2005, I got no feedback on it whatsoever. Assuming my effort was
largely wasted, I wandered off the project pursuing other interests.

As my interest in GNUstep was rekindled recently I was please to see several
of the GNUstep main developers committed quite a bit of code to the project.

So I am glad to learn someone really uses pbxbuild so spending my
2-week-vacation on the
tool wasn't utterly wasted.

It comes in very handy when I want to create small command line tools.
It's much faster for me to prototype small projects in Cocoa and use XCode
to test locally and then simply run pbxbuild to get makefiles for our science
team to use on our Linux boxes.

Since my mac is more than 10000 km away, I can't develop and test now.
Before submitting the Patch, it would be fine if you could clean up
all commented parts
of the code; to make them work or to throw them out.
Since you created the modifications it might be the easiest for you to do that.

After glancing through it again it's not as bad as I had originally thought. Like you said,
it's mostly some block comments, and I added some helper macros that should be moved
somewhere else.

It's going to be at least several weeks before I can think about spending time on it again
so I wanted to at least get the ugly patch onto the mailing list so people could start using/improving.

I could clean up the formatting; but I can't/won't test.

Another important thing is to know which revision your changes are based on,
I assume latest SVN?

It was the latest svn as of two weeks ago.

Kind regards,
Hans

Joseph Mattiello  |  Sense Networks, Inc.  |  110 Greene St., 11th Floor  |  New York, NY 10012  |  +1 845 800 4444  |  address@hidden