Re: ABI / ivars policy

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: ABI / ivars policy
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:16:41 +0000

On 8 Dec 2009, at 17:33, Quentin Mathé wrote:

Is there now an official policy that explains how we handle ivar addition/removal? Is it still ok to put them in the header?

If we're going to recommend the new runtime for the next release, then it is not such a problem. Code compiled with -fobjc-nonfragile-abi will not notice when ivars are added. Code compiled without will abort at load time if it contains a class that subclasses the class that you've added an ivar to or removed one from (unless you've both added and removed ivars and the class size remains constant but the layout changes, then subclasses which access public / protected ivars may have problems).

Either way, make sure that you note ABI changes in NEWS :-)

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine