RFC: Deprecating class posing

From: David Chisnall
Subject: RFC: Deprecating class posing
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:22:58 +0000

Hi Everyone,

With the non-fragile ABI, Apple removed support for class posing. This makes sense, because it's no longer possible to guarantee that the class has the same ivar layout.

I'm tempted to do the same thing for our non-fragile ABI. This has the added advantage that you could then statically export class names as linker symbols, which would make class messages a lot faster (you'd no longer need to do the lookup each time, and all of the ugly stuff in GNUstep where the class pointer is cached could go away).

Any objections?

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1