Re: Question about GNUstep DL2

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Question about GNUstep DL2
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:09:18 +0100

Hello everyone,

IMHO the packaging for GDL2 could take into account the non-gui/gui
scenarios and would look something like this:

gnustep-dl2-nox(-dev)
  EOControl/EOAccess

gnustep-dl2-gui(-dev) (depends on dl2-nox)
  EOInterface

gnustep-dl2-tools(-dev) (depends on dl2-nox)
  EOPalette
  EOModeler
  DBModeler

gnustep-dl2-sqlite-adaptor (depends on dl2-nox)
gnustep-dl2-sqlite-adaptor-gui (depends on dl2-gui)
gnustep-dl2-postgresql-adaptor (depends on dl2-nox)
gnustep-dl2-postgresql-adaptor-gui (depends on dl2-gui)

Wow... yes this is ugly... but I'm not sure if there is a way around it.
The respective login panels depend on -gui.  Yet if we lump them into
single adpator packages, all usefull adaptors will pull in -gui and
therefore we might as well lump everything together into a single
gnustep-dl2(-dev) package. (well save the tools package).

i.e. the alternative is:

gnustep-dl2(-dev)
  EOControl/EOAccess
  EOInterface

gnustep-dl2-tools(-dev) (depends on dl2)
  EOPalette
  EOModeler
  DBModeler

gnustep-dl2-sqlite-adaptor (depends on dl2) [-dev shouldn't be needed]
gnustep-dl2-postgresql-adaptor (depends on dl2) [-dev shouldn't be
needed]

But will install full -gui and X dependencies even if all you want is a
a GSWeb based WebServer.

Notes:
- the adaptors (i.e. PostgreSQLAdaptor) should refrain from installing
headers
- the Renaissance dependency should be removed, at least in the mid term
(I originally was very much for switching to R. but we haven't had the
resources to actually leverage it, and I think it is more easily removed
than to convert all the UI to R. and either I missed the release or we
currently depend on non-released version.)

Cheers,

David Ayers - Team Austria
Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) []          (http://www.fsfe.org)
Join the Fellowship of FSFE!         [][][]      (https://fsfe.org/join)