Re: Implementing CFSTR() in corebase

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Implementing CFSTR() in corebase
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:17:35 +0000

P.S. When Apple broke the ABI for OS X 10.0, they changed the layout of
constant strings quite significantly.  Static CF strings can be stored in
different encodings, for example, so you can have UTF16 CF strings if UTF16
takes less space for your particular character set.

As I haven't completely finalised the non-fragile ABI, does anyone want to
request any additions to our constant string layout?  Anything that would make
implementing NSConstantString easier?  Note that mixing two constant string
classes currently breaks GNUstep in a number of fun and exciting ways, so this
would be something that would likely to need a complete recompile, if we did
change it, unless you want to fudge something like making the length field
negative for the new layout...

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine