Re: Implementing CFSTR() in corebase

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Implementing CFSTR() in corebase
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:26:00 -0700

On 2010-01-22, at 9:53 AM, David Chisnall wrote:

Hi Stef,

I had this discussion with Eric yesterday, so good timing...

On OS X, CSTR() calls one of two functions.

Hi,
On a related note, regarding Opal, David and I decided that Opal should just use Foundation directly (internally). The main reasons are:

- There is no way (with the public API of CoreFoundation) to create new CoreFoundation types . The CG objects need to respond to -[retain] and -[release], as well as CFRetain(), and the other CF functions available for all CF types, so they really have to be instances of NSObject subclasses.
- We need constant Obj-C/CF strings - it sounds like it is best to just use @"...".

Initially I was interested in making Opal independent of Foundation, and able to work with Apple's CF or CFLite, but now I think it's not worth the effort.

-Eric