Re: Implementing CFSTR() in corebase

From: Stef Bidi
Subject: Re: Implementing CFSTR() in corebase
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:43:41 -0600

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Eric Wasylishen <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2010-01-22, at 9:53 AM, David Chisnall wrote:

Hi Stef,

I had this discussion with Eric yesterday, so good timing...

On OS X, CSTR() calls one of two functions.

Hi,
On a related note, regarding Opal, David and I decided that Opal should just use Foundation directly (internally). The main reasons are:

- There is no way (with the public API of CoreFoundation) to create new CoreFoundation types . The CG objects need to respond to -[retain] and -[release], as well as CFRetain(), and the other CF functions available for all CF types, so they really have to be instances of NSObject subclasses.

There actually is... if you look at the very bottom CF-Lite's CFRuntime.h you'll see they create an EXRange object.  At this point, however, I have no intention in reproducing that, though.

- We need constant Obj-C/CF strings - it sounds like it is best to just use @"...".

It sure looks that!