Re: GNUStep on Windows

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUStep on Windows
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:43:36 +0100

Hi there,

Vincent R. wrote:
When will you switch to llvm on windows platform ?
I can see from website that for now you are releasing a solution based on
msys/mingw-4.4
and could it be possible to use a msys/llvm alternative ?
Would it work ?
We are not going to "switch" any time soon. I don't think GNUstep is going to "switch" anytime soon on other targets either. GCC is currently our preferred compiler. David Chisnall is doing some excellent and interesting work in getting llvm and also the libobjc2 runtime to work with GNUstep.

Our goal is to support llvm+lobobjc2 as a second alternative.

Supporting llvm on windows could be possible I gues, depending on how good llvm works with the msys environment. But currently I think nobody is working on that directly, David doesn't work on windows and the developers currently active on Windows have their hands full fixing other problems, like theming and backend issues.

Riccardo