Re: headers in sub-subdirectories, and gnustep-make 2.2.1

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: headers in sub-subdirectories, and gnustep-make 2.2.1
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 08:55:36 +0000

Now the new feature is that you can specify headers that live in
subdirectories, as in

Beauty_HEADER_FILES = Beauty.h Vanity.h Pride/Pride.h

(note the last one, Pride/Pride.h) then your headers would be in

 Beauty/Beauty.h
 Beauty/Vanity.h
 Beauty/Pride/Pride.h

and end up installed as in

Beauty.framework/Headers/Beauty.h
Beauty.framework/Headers/Vanity.h
Beauty.framework/Headers/Pride/Pride.h

(note: the last header requires creating a directory, which is now
automatically created for you)

What does this mean? Do you have to break the installation in three
steps. First install the rest, then create a directory manually and then
install the last header file? I don't believe this is what you
implemented. Could you just explain it a bit more?

Not sure I understand the question, so I'll just explain a bit more. :-)

It's not a big change - unless you need it. ;-)

In the new gnustep-make, you don't have to do anything - it's all installed for you.

All you have to do is specify your headers as in

 Beauty_HEADER_FILES = Beauty. Vanity.h Pride/Pride.h

everything else happens automatically.

In the old gnustep-make, yes, you used to have to create the Pride header directory manually in before-all::, otherwise installing the Pride/Pride.h header would fail. So the change in behaviour is that now the directory
gets automatically created for you.

For most people this may not be important as they have all headers in a directory. But a number of people
asked for it.

This change is ideally coupled to the other change in gnustep-make trunk, where you can specify source files
in subdirectories --

 Beauty_OBJC_FILES = Pride/Pride.m

this change is actually completely different, but looks/is related in a way and it makes sense to release them together. :-)

Thanks