Re: error while compiling base

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: error while compiling base
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:44:35 +0000

On 17 Feb 2010, at 20:32, David Chisnall wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2010, at 20:23, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
>> WHen compiling base I now get:
>>
>> Compiling file GSFormat.m ...
>> GSFormat.m:62:2: error: #error handle_llong_max defined without llong_max
>> being defined
>
> This seems to be a bug where Richard is using the non-standard LONG_LONG_MAX
> instead of the C99 standard LLONG_MAX.

No, it's a typo made when converting from using the old, reliable,
LONG_LONG_MAX (basically worked on every platform except perhaps BSD, and used
to be the default but is now the fallback mechanism) to the newer c99 standard
(which works on most modern platforms and is now the default, but used to be
the fallback mechanism).

> LONG_LONG_MAX is a GNUism, and will break anywhere except GNU platforms (and
> HP-UX, which, I think, is where GNU copied it from).

I know you are a BSD person, but the reality is that GNUstep is GNU software
and uses the GNU compiler (GCC) ... so saying something 'will break anywhere
except GNU platforms' is actually pretty close to saying that it will break
anywhere that GNUstep doesn't run, and sounds perilously like a religious
argument.