Categories within static archives

From: Lewis Mackenzie
Subject: Categories within static archives
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:55:21 +0000

I'm linking against a static archive which contains custom categories on
NSArray and NSString, but the problem I'm finding is that the methods these
categories add aren't present at runtime.

I've done a little bit of research, and found that under OS X, ld has these
additional options:

-all_load   Loads all members of static archive libraries.

-ObjC       Loads all members of static archive libraries that implement
            an Objective-C class or category.

I've tried building under OS X using these options and everything now works
correctly - but I need this to work under a linux system using GNUstep, so I
wondered if anybody has any experience with doing this, or can suggest any
solutions?

The build environment I'm trying to get it to work under is:

Debian lenny
gcc 4.3.2 (debian package)
gnustep-make-2.2.0 (from source)
gnustep-base-1.19.3 (from source)