Re: includes/imports in gui.

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: includes/imports in gui.
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:23:04 +0100

Am 18.02.2010 11:47, schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald:

> On 18 Feb 2010, at 10:35, Nicola Pero wrote:
>

>>> It has a small effect on how we should organize headers in base
>>> too:
>>>
>>> I want to clearly separate out non-OSX stuff from OSX stuff, so
>>> that our extensions would all be available to OSX users in the
>>> base-additions library.
>>>
>>> I was hoping to just have all the extensions headers collection
>>> in Additions.h and have Additions.h included in Foundation.h for
>>> backward compatibility ... so existing Apps which include
>>> foundation.h and expect to use our extensions would continue to
>>> be able to do so.
>>>
>>> But ... if people aren't going to want to include Foundation.h
>>> (because it's slow), perhaps the individual headers should be
>>> made to import the extensions (eg NSString.h would import
>>> GNUstepBase/NSString+GNUstepbase.h unless NO_GNUSTEP is
>>> defined).
>>>
>>> Alternatively, perhaps we need to update all projects to
>>> explicitly include the headers for the extensions (irritating
>>> work to do)... I'm not sure what to do here.
>>
>> I personally vote for the option where NSString.h would import
>> GNUstepBase/NSString+GNUstepbase.h (unless NO_GNUSTEP).  It
>> provides the best backwards-compatibility solution.
>
> Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Guess I'll have to do that then
> :-(

I would like to differ. For me the best way seems to be to have the
extensions not automatically included. That will break existing
projects. (In most cases it will just cause warnings from the compiler
about methods not being defined) But it will also make clear that this
project will need to be adapted to be usable on OSX. For gui itself I am
willing to make the changes, in many cases just remove the use of the
extensions, in others just an additional include.
This is just what I think, it will be more important to get feedback
from the maintainers of GNUstep applications. If they think the clear
way is to much hassle for them, we should have the additions
automatically included.