Re: sync.m

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: sync.m
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 01:12:01 +0100

Hi,
Actually, David's original comment is a bit wide of the mark anyway ... changes
to the ObjectiveC2 code are rather more than just reindentation as it needed a
bug fix or two and quite a few changes to fix c99isms which prevented it
building on older systems (and the whole point of a compatibility library is to
allow older systems, specifically older versions of the runtime, to work
without having to have masses of #ifdef's in the code).

If we want to keep ObjectiveC2 and libobc2 sufficiently in sync to allow
patches from one to be applied to the other, we will need to restructure quite
a bit of the libobjc2 code to  avoid c99 features where possible, and David put
a comment to Riccardo in libobjc2 specifically asking him not to do that (since
the new library will only work on more modern systems), so unless David wants
to reconsider, such synchronisation is impossible anyway :-(

It is not that I removed and changed stuff randomly, I just changed it where I needed it to get things to compile. So I'd like the compatibility library to continue to compile. I'm perfectly fine to use the old libobjc on the systems with old or weird compilers. As long of course as core itself doesn't require libobjc-2 feature (which I hope will be never, but that's tough to say).

Things used to work well enough even on gcc 2.95 to have the whole gnustep core, gworkspace, systemprefrences, projectcenter, gorm and all of GAP compiling and working. That is all I ask, I do not expect to use Obj-c2 programs or etoile there. But breaking them gratuitously is stupid.

Up to know I was able to detect and patch the stuff, it wasn't that hard, I just need sometimes help from the original author to understand what the code actually does.

Riccardo