Re: [Etoile-discuss] Best beginning ObjC book?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Etoile-discuss] Best beginning ObjC book?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:55:51 +0100

Am 17.03.2010 20:21, schrieb David Chisnall:
> Hi Fred,
>
> On 15 Mar 2010, at 10:57, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>
>> I just started a loader for the XIB format. Seems to load the one
>> test file I tried pretty well, but wont do anything useful with the
>> loaded data :-)
>

> What's the performance like for the XIB loader compared to loading
> .gorm/.nib files?  Specifically, is it sufficiently fast that we
> could consider using XIB as the a native format?  On OS X they're
> compiled to nibs for backwards compatibility (old OS X doesn't
> understand the format) and possibly for performance reasons, but if
> we could load them directly then it would make porting OS X apps a
> lot easier.

I haven't done any measurements and most likely I am still the only one
to ever use this code. And even I didn't find the time to test it with a
second file. Any talks about making it the native format for GNUstep may
be a bit premature :-)

The main drawback of XIB at the moment is surely that we are only able
to read it. There is no writing of XIB format in GNUstep at the moment
and this will require a lot of stuff I left out.

For now our old NIB loading code is keeping me quite busy :-(

What I don't understand is your last sentence. Of course we can load XIB
files directly, that is what the loader does. That way I only have to
rewrite the properties in your example code and then use the project
directly on my Linux machine without first converting the XIB into NIB
on my Apple. All of this is fully integrated in the GNUstep gui
gorm/NIB/Gmodel loading, we just support an additional format, XIB.