Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:50:55 +0100

Hi,

yes I find it "due", we spoke about that before Fosdem indeed! This time we should really stabilize ad decide that for a period of a fortnight (or longer if deemed needed) where only bugfixes are commited! Not changes to the runtime or other far-reaching things.
Also, fixes may produce bugs and need to be refixed.

The changes introduced were extremely huge and their effect is just now stabilizing.

Currently, the core systems compiles on most platforms I have available, spanning from gcc 2.95 to gcc 4.4 and from sparc to MIPS. Recently I even got GNU/Hurd compiling! Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Windows "compile".
However, there are bugs and problems.

For example, I'm unable to start anything on Hurd because gdomap/gdnc seem to have problems. GWorkspace crashes everywhere (which it didn't up to a month ago about). Also GWorkspace now has strange problems.

I think it would be also good to check our bug list and see if a couple of those bugs should be fixed with the release.

Given the recent surge of interest in Windows, I hope that Adam will also prepare a Windows release (I would suggest based on gcc/objc1, but possibly supporting clang/objc2 too). And let's make that a good release!

After this release, I'd like Richard release a new version of GSWS and I will release an application based on it to the public.

So let's check the details!

Riccardo

Fred Kiefer wrote:
Before FOSDEM we were planing a coordinated release of the GNUstep core
components. In the meantime a lot has happened. Base was completely
rewritten, or so it seems from the outside and gui had to play catch up.
Then I toyed around with the NIB loading and broke a few things.
Now things are rather stable again and we should come back to our
original plan. For gui this would be an intermediate release not the 1.0
release I am hoping to see later this year.
What still needs to be done in gui is finishing the switch to #import,
moving on to non fragile ivars will happen later. I first want to see
the results base gets with its approach to that topic.

Adam, could you once more take up the task of releasing GNUstep? We
should give it another week or two so that people can complain about
existing bugs that need to be fixed before the release.