Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:06:53 +0200

Hi
I haven't kept up with the state of development/readiness of the windows theme,
but I really don't agree with forcibly changing the default theme ... I know it
makes me really irate on the odd occasion when Apple change default behaviors
on OSX, and I have to look for the  way to revert to previous behaviors.

The theme is the user's choice ... so what should happen is that, on
installation, the installer should ASK the user which theme they want to use,
allowing them to select between available themes, but making the windows one
the first selection (assuming here that for most apps it works well ... people
can always change theme on a per-app basis anyway).

If the user has already chosen a theme themselves (ie the default is already
set in NSGlobalDomain) then the theme that they had previously chosen should be
the first/default option when they are asked to choose a default theme  ... so
they can just hit the return key to continue using the last theme they selected.
Although I generally agree with leaving the default theme as is on Unix, where we can theoretically strive for a complete environment, on Windows we always will be hosted, thus I consider it correct to have a more windows. friendly theme as the default on windows. I consider it an exception. Even when using a complete development environment you probably want that. Also, if you go as far as having several developer applications installed, you will be smart enough to be able to revert to the default theme if you wish.

A default theme however must guarantee that any application can be compiled and work well without any further "porting efforts" to adapt it. This is not the case with the current WinUXTheme, although it works very well for some applications.

I think a good proposal would be, if possible, to make the WinUXTheme as a user-selectable component in the NSIS installer, however selecting it should write automatically the global preferences so that it will be enabled.

In this release I would make it by default unselected and maybe the next release will have it selected by default.

I don't know however if the windows installer can be so smart to write the NSGlobalDomain when installing it?

Riccardo