Re: Which bugs to focus on for the release?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Which bugs to focus on for the release?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:39:14 +0100

On 19 Apr 2010, at 07:15, Niels Grewe wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 05:34:56PM +0100, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> What I thought might be a single issue related to networking (Riccardo's
>> problem establishing a connection to gdnc on Hurd, and my problem running
>> out of file descriptors in an Java system using jigs) urned out to be two
>> separate issues (both quite rare) ... which are fixed now.  So we need a
>> period of hard testing but I think there are really no known bugs at present.
>
> So the gdnc problem is supposed to be fixed? I just noticed that I have
> an issue on my 64bit Linux system that sounds similar (applications
> waiting for gdnc indefinitely). Could you give some pointers on where to
> look?

Well, 'waiting for gdnc indefinitely' is a bit vague  ... is that failing to
connect, failing to register as an observer, failing to send, failing to
receive etc.  Maybe gdnc is not even being started?
So I can only give fairly general pointers ... try turning on debug for the
appropriate classes: NSDistributedNotificationCenter, NSPort, NSPortNameServer
etc.
You can grep the source for calls to NSDebugMLLog() to see where debug is
available (the first arg to this macro is the 'level' ... usually the name of a
class).
Turning on debug for NSConnection and NSRunLoop will get you pretty low-level
information ... perhaps necessary once you have narrowed things down.