Re: What happened to the code freeze?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: What happened to the code freeze?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:25:52 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:

Looks like we have more commit right now during code freeze then we have
at normal times. I would suggest that we give up the idea of doing more
tests. As long as people cannot stick to a code freeze even for a week,

I thought we were in "feature freeze" - ie, all commits must be bug fixes as opposed to implementation of new features. A typical pre-release phase to iron out bugs before
a release. :-)
Exactly! I understood the same. Of course some fixes might introduce new bugs, btu this is normal during testing.

Instead, you're suggesting we're in "code freeze" - meaning no commits at all ? Ie, nothing gets done for weeks ? I've never seen a project do that. Anyway it would be easy enough to do, we just all have to stop doing anything. Hmmm. Not sure why that would be useful ? ;-)

Never head about that, not even at work. A freeze of 1-2 days is possible there, for pure testing, but we can't in opensource do that. Or we might declare a certain weekend to be test weekend, if a couple of people can follow that.
With about 150 bugs open in the bug tracking system, we probably need quite a few
weeks of feature freeze / bug fixing to get a good release. :-)

Yes, we have a lot of bugs. I was speaking with Gregory and it would be nice to have some of these fixed.

I personally suggest we stay in a "feature freeze / bug fixing only" phase for a while until the bug count is down and the commits slow down because there are no more bugs to fix :-)
Yes, or at least a certain number of bugs have been addressed or explained or posponed. I undertand that this release is long due, but it is a very important release I think. There are many changes, I noticed that many applications need a new release because of adjustments needed. Even smalls tuff, like the header and import cleanup done by Fred. Of course he did a good job, the applications were wrong, but they need to be released soon, so that people don't experience broken applications. There will be some sort of avalanche effect. We must be careful about that, but if done well it will give us exposure and advertisement! They can't call us dead anymore.

Finally, it is quite possible you were referring to some specific changes that are new features instead of being bug fixes - presumably in the gui ? If so, you should IMO feel free to point these
out, and even revert them.
Some of the commits clearly marked fixes. How good they are we must retest.

Cheers,
  Riccardo