Re: opening problems with GWorkspace

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: opening problems with GWorkspace
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:29:45 +0200

Hi,
I finally managed to reproduce this bug and fixed it in svn. The issue occurred (only) on machines which are slow enough for GWorkspace needing more than 5 seconds to finish launching. The cause of the bug is a subtle error in r29864, where NSRunAlertPanel returns NSAlertFirstButtonReturn instead of NSAlertDefaultReturn when it is run from a non-gui application. This was causing a SIGTERM signal being sent to GWorkspace and a second instance of GWorkspace being started.

Note that (thanks to some inexplicable wisdom of Apple) NSAlertFirstButtonReturn is not equal to NSAlertDefaultReturn and that the NSAlertXXXButtonReturn constants are meant to be used only with the NSAlert methods, but not with the old OpenStep dialog functions (and also not with NSAlert's alertWithMessageText:... class method).

This indeed fixes the problem for me, I did a couple of tests. Very well!

Riccardo