Re: fix for 30094 breaks HURD compilation again

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: fix for 30094 breaks HURD compilation again
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:02:54 +0300

Yavor Doganov wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> > now using __GLIBC__ causes troubles on Hurd with GCC (and possibly
> > other platforms which I don't remember),
>
> The Debian archive is full of code like this, so it's strange that it
> causes trouble.  What is the specific error?

Without having access to GNU/Hurd, I think I realize why the build
fails with my initial patch.  On GNU/Hurd, __GLIBC__ is defined in
<features.h>, as it is on GNU/Linux.  On GNU/kFreeBSD, it is a
preprocessor macro.

By contrast, __linux__ is always guaranteed to be defined on GNU/Linux
(no matter what headers you include); likewise for __GNU__ on
GNU/Hurd.

So what I said in the bug log is wrong, and I stand corrected:
__GLIBC__ is always guaranteed to be defined on GNU/kFreeBSD, and on
all GNU platforms iff <features.h> is included.

Defining _GNU_SOURCE should address this issue, I hope.