Re: OS support and statisitics....

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: OS support and statisitics....
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:44:04 +0100

For what it's worth, I'm in favour of using cairo on windows.

Also, I'm generally in favour of dropping formal support for older operating
systems more than we currently do.  I don't mean we should ignore old systems,
but I *do* think, as we are short of manpower, we should make it the
responsibility for the users of the old systems to support them.

IMO, as a rule of thumb, we should generally maintain/develop the software on
the basis that it's going to be run on systems generally no more than 5 years
old, (ie make no particular effort to preserve backward compatibility for
systems older than that) and should probably actively drop compatibility with
systems 10 or more years old (to try to keep the codebase 'clean' without too
much conditional compilation) unless someone has volunteered to actively
maintain the backward compatibility.

It would be good to keep a list of supported operating systems on the wiki,
with each system listing a contact email address for the person/persons
supporting the system and saying whether the system is officially supported (ie
we expect current releases to work unchanged and all the core developers will
help to support the system), or unofficially/semi-supported (ie the contact
email is the person responsible for support, or officially unsupported (system
is old/minority interest and nobody has volunteered to support it).