Re: Submitting patches

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Submitting patches
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:35:34 +0100

On 22 Jun 2010, at 16:31, Thomas Davie wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> First off, many thanks to David and Richard for your help getting me up and
> running.
>
> Secondly, I have a couple of patches that I'm not certain if they're bugs in
> GNUstep, but they're certainly points at which GNUstep disagrees with apple's
> implementation.  What's the best way for me to
> a) submit a bug saying how the two disagree

Either a mail to the -dev list, or a report in the bug tracking system.
Ideally both - bug reports don't always get seen immediately, but stuff sent to
the list may get lost if it isn't fixed immediately.

> b) find out if it's apple's fault

This is less important - in general, we try to be bug-compatible with Apple,
unless they do something really stupid.  It's worth including a test case so
that we can fix our version if Apple fixes theirs later.

Also, please check Apple's documentation.  If their implementation and
documentation agree, it's definitely a GNUstep bug.  If they disagree (not very
common, but more common than I would like), we have to decide on a case-by-case
basis whether we should follow the docs or not.

> c) attach a patch

svn diff, and post to the list.

David

-- Sent from my brain