Re: NSView caching of isFlipped

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: NSView caching of isFlipped
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 09:01:13 +0100

On 31 Jul 2010, at 01:08, Quentin Mathé wrote:

> I don't know what the performance impact would be. But I have been writing
> drawing code that abuses message sending a lot and it isn't that slow on
> GNUstep. Although GNUstep drawing is a lot slower than Cocoa and I don't know
> why precisely.

The cost of a single message send is likely to be tiny compared to the cost of
doing any drawing operation - even drawing a single line.

> In future, libobjc2 and clang should also be able to easily inline methods
> such as -isFlipped.

Probably not, in fact.  We can maybe inline the NSView implementation of
-isFlipped, but we won't be able to inline all arbitrary subclass
implementations without it becoming very expensive.

David

-- Sent from my IBM 1620