Re: NSView caching of isFlipped

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: NSView caching of isFlipped
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:45:40 +0200

Hi Fred,

Le 31 juil. 2010 à 10:18, Fred Kiefer a écrit :

Am 31.07.2010 02:08, schrieb Quentin Mathé:
So - how much of a performance gain do we get from caching the
flipped status in NSView?  If it is significant,  then is there
any way that the value could be sampled upon the first message
sent _after_ init?  Or should the caching simply be removed?

I submitted a patch (which needs improvements iirc) a while ago about
this -isFlipped issue: http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?6630
I'm in favor of removing the caching completely since there is nothing in Cocoa doc that states -isFlipped return value must be constant. In my tests, Mac OS X reacts transparently to -isFlipped value change at any
time.

Hi Quentin,

I think you should go ahead and commit your patch. Now that we have two real live examples of code failing because of this caching we may safely ignore the performance considerations. Even a small slow down is nothing
compared to valid code not working on GNUstep.

ok. I'll do that.

Quentin.