Re: xlib backend - Xft without fontconfig

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: xlib backend - Xft without fontconfig
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:56:37 +0200

Hi Derek,

first a note: xlib is the backend with wich we cope the widest range of platforms, it is the most portable and compact. Thus before changing or increasing its depedencies I'd like to be careful.

Xft is optional for us and it shall remain so. Are you implying that if Xft is found, then fontconfig should be a hard dependency?

On the system where I am writing this I have both fontconfig2 and Xft2 installed, but I do wonder if the former is a dependency of the latter or if Xft2 can exist without fontconfig, sicne this would answer your question.

Riccardo

Derek Fawcus wrote:
I've been looking at the xlib backend,  specifically the Xft
text rendering support.  From looking at it,  I believe the
parts intended to cope with fontconfig not existing should
simply be discarded.

It has two effects,  it allow Xft version 1 to be used,
(since it preceeds the existance of fontconfig),  and it
uses the Xlfd matching part of Xft.  The latter seems to
be pointless (since Xft 1 supported a built in prototype
fontconfig like matching facility),  broken (the way the
xlfd list passed in is built depends upon local fonts),
and a waste (since the X core text support copes with
xlfd patterns).

It would appear that these date from quite some time ago,
Xft version 1 is obsolete (version 2 has existed since
at least sometime in 2002),  and I believe anyone using
Xft now will have version 2.

So I propose that GSXftFontInfo.m be updated such that:

all code protected by HAVE_FC be unconditional
the code in the #else part of -setupAttributes be removed

and similarly in XGContext.m make the code protected by HAVE_FC be
unconditional.

This then eases some other clean ups and fixes I spotted.