Re: Interesting discussion on gcc about objc

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Interesting discussion on gcc about objc
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:55:56 +0200 (CEST)

> Nicola,
>
> I believe the fundamental mistake you're making here lays in the claim
> that it's derived in the first place
>
> As the person making the assertion that it is, you do, in fact, need
> to discuss this with David.

David started with libobjc and made changes.  For me that is the definition
of a derived work.  If you start from scratch (ie, no pre-existing codebase),
that is the definition of a new work.

But I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know.  Certainly taking an official FSF
GNU GPL codebase as the starting point for a MIT-license project is not
exactly the smartest thing you can do in legal terms.  The resulting legal
minefield is not for me to sort out.

Thanks