Re: GNUSTEP_FILESYSTEM_LAYOUT_FILE Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_FILESYSTEM_LAYOUT_FILE Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:14:16 +0100

On 16 Sep 2010, at 14:38, Wolfgang Lux wrote:

> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>
>> On 16 Sep 2010, at 05:26, David Wetzel wrote:
>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> strange stuff, on my new NetBSD 5.1-RC3 box I had to #-out the line
>>> GNUSTEP_FILESYSTEM_LAYOUT_FILE
>>> otherwise I got a warning even with defaults read.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> David Wetzel

>> I've committed a change with a bugfix and slight improvements of the
>> comments ... so there really shouldn't be any odd warnings, but maybe I've
>> missed something.
>
> Indeed you did. The problem is *not* an issue of the configure script, its a
> runtime error which happens independent of the target OS whenever you start
> an application or tool. (You would have noticed yourself if you had added a
> GNUSTEP_FILESYSTEM_LAYOUT_FILE to your own GNUstep.conf). The function
> ExtractValuesFromConfig in NSPathUtilities contains a sanity check, which
> reports any nonstandard variable that is set in one of the configuration
> files (and not listed in the GNUSTEP_EXTRA variable).
>
> A quick workaround to get rid of the message is to add the line
>  GNUSTEP_EXTRA=GNUSTEP_FILESYSTEM_LAYOUT_FILE
> to ~/.GNUstep.conf and the real fix is to add a line to discard the
> GNUSTEP_FILESYSTEM_LAYOUT_FILE variable from the configuration dictionary in
> ExtractValuesFromConfig.
>
> Wolfgang
>
> PS Can you please revert the change to make the apple layout the default on
> Darwin systems when using the gnu-gnu-gnu combo. On OS X systems this
> configuration is supposed to coexist with the existing Cocoa environment and
> the apple-apple-apple combo, so these should clearly use separate layouts. I
> also guess that the problem of fresh users attempting to install GNUstep from
> source on OS X is not an issue here, since it won't work anyway unless you
> are really experienced :-).

Thanks ... I've reverted a whole load of the changes.

NB. The net result is that temporarily you need to specify
--with-layout=gnustep to get the gnustep layout ... until we can work out a
good mechanism for setting a preference for the layout to use.
Nicola suggested:

> Maybe the right thing to do is to do something similar to the
> /etc/GNUstep/installation-domains.conf.  Ie, we could have gnustep-make's
> configure load
> a new file,
>
> /etc/GNUstep/default-filesystem-layout.conf
>
> but only if it exists (it has to be created manually by an advanced user).
> That file
> could contain a default layout/prefix which would be used if none are
> specified on the
> configure command-line.

It sounds like a workable idea to me.