Re: GNUSTEP_FILESYSTEM_LAYOUT_FILE Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_FILESYSTEM_LAYOUT_FILE Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:58:58 +0100

NB. The net result is that temporarily you need to specify --with- layout=gnustep to get the gnustep layout ... until we can work out a good mechanism for setting a preference for the layout to use.

Shouldn't gnustep-make reuse the existing layout when there is already a GNUstep install?

Not by default as it would be too confusing for new users.

Maybe we could add a switch to gnustep-make to tell it to save the prefix/layout for next time. Something like

./configure --prefix=/ --enable-debug-by-default --with-layout=gnustep --enable-remember-layout

that would store the prefix/layout in some config file in /etc/ GNUstep/ and next time your run configure
it would then use it.

Thanks

If I do
./configure --prefix=/ --enable-debug-by-default --with- layout=gnustep && make && sudo -E make install
then
./configure --prefix=/ --enable-debug-by-default && make && sudo -E make install

The second time, gnustep-make ignores my previous install and just reverts to the fhs layout. I think it shouldn't switch the layout unless it's explicitly requested, and each time the layout is changed, a warning should be displayed at the end of the configuration to make things truly clear. Otherwise you can get weird results where some programs stop to compile because gnustep-make still picks the old headers of the previous GNUstep install. This happened to me when I update my working copy, because I usually don't source GNUstep.sh when I reinstall gnustep-make unless I make a new install in another location.

Cheers,
Quentin.