Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:30:51 +0100

I agree with this statement. It's a fact that GNUstep doesn't play well with the FHS used by, pretty much, every single *nix variant.

FHS is a Linux 'standard', not a *NIX standard. Most *NIX variants use something vaguely similar, but none use FHS. For example, on *BSD, GNUstep's decision to put GNUstep.conf in /etc/GNUstep/ is incorrect - this location should only be used for stuff that is in the base system. Third-party configuration stuff should go in /usr/ local/etc.

Actually, the FHS requires the same ;-)

GNUstep config file for a local installation (/usr/local) should go into /usr/local/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf, while for a "base system" installation (/usr) should go into /etc/ GNUstep/GNUstep.conf.

I guess on that side gnustep-make is currently not totally compliant with the FHS (nor compliant with Unix
standard practice).  We can fix it though.

Thanks